Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Petting memories

It all started from Kiki. She was my first pet. She lived in the kitchen window extension area, with her mom, dad, and little sister. Thats when we discovered the pigeon nest. Well, we discovered it, when Kiki's parents nested one set of babies before Kiki's turn. But at that point, the baby was almost grown up and was learning to fly. Kiki was around 10 days old when I saw her. She would squeak so loudly when her mom visited in the evening. Her voice could be heard in my room, when I was busy playing age of empires. She would try to put her beak into her mom's beak and pester for food. Her sister had a weak growth from beginning. She stopped growing from her 6th or 7th day. Kiki looked very old, big, and fluffy in front of her. When mom and I used to peek from behind the window, Kiki's mom would know that someone is around. She would hint her to stop squeaking and stand still. Both of them would stand there without moving, like statues. Kiki was the cutest baby I had seen. Her innocent round eyes, her small wings, cute little tail feathers, her cute squeaks that earned her the name Kiki. :)
Then came peeku and teeku, velvet, later pingu, black beauty, baby and a whole lot of cuties, who made our window their home. In some time, there were babies in our bedroom windows, and balcony area too. Whenever I was bored, I would pick and gather the babies and have a tea party. Their dads who baby-sitted in the day time would get annoyed with me. One dad at the kitchen nest would make weird pigeon sounds to tell me that he wanted his babies back.
I miss them so badly. Watching them was so much fun. The mom pigeon cuddling the babies, the mom and dad sharing the egg-sitting duties, the babies learning to fly. Take it from me: Birds, especially pigeons make the best pets!

5 comments:

The Rain Crab said...

Cute post Rums! :) u should hav made a cute docu u knw!!!! :(

Srija said...

too good Ramya!!

Unknown said...

very nice!! :) Thumbs up!!

Rajmohan said...

Nice one Ramya

Rums said...

Thanks ppl, for your cheers!