Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rajneeti: Complete stunner

Finally, I watched the only movie worth watching in 2010, well at least so far.
Rajneeti is an absolutely brilliant movie to the core. I have watched Prakash Jha’s movies earlier and enjoyed them but this one is a stunner. I am impressed in the manner he has sketched each character in the movie, and Ranbir’s was the most striking part in the movie. The film is said to be a paralleled with the story line of Mahabharata, with

  • Nana Patekar as Krishna
  • Ranbir Kapoor, as Arjun
  • Arjun Rampal, as Yudhisthir
  • Manoj Bajpai as Duryodhan and
  • Ajay Devgan as Karna

I found all the roles perfectly executed except for Yudhishtir. Arjun rampal’s charater was shown as fickle minded, intolerant, unforgiving, and a rather stupid one. Whereas Yudhishtir had none of these qualities except that he had taken some stupid decisions. I applaud Ajay Devgan’s work. I think this has been his best role so far. Nana and Manoj were as splendid as they always are. Ranbir’s part was the best because he is the mastermind of the game but has the power to exit the game and go back to his previous way of life. This is impossible in the real Indian politics that we see today. I feel that once a person gets the taste of unrestricted power, it’s hard to be normal again.
And not to forget our dear Sonia oops... Katrina who did a wonderful job in the small role that she got. I felt like I was watching Sonia Gandhi.
Naseer had a really small role, damn I am disappointed. He made the communists look good which was not necessary! Even Sara's role was aptly sketched with her Irish background. And I think this is the first time an American is shown to be sensible in an Indian movie. :)
Once again, I am totally dazed to watch such a brilliant movie after a long time. Kudos to Prakash Jha and all the actors who did a superb job!