Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chick lit experience!

After reading Emily Giffin, I couldn't get enough of chick lit. So browsed through http://chicklitreviews.com and chose to read:
  1. Big Girl (which is actually a diet lit) 
  2. Keep the change 
  3. October breezes 
Big girl was definitely all about guilt calories and dealing with it. What I liked about the book is the author has given a good sketch about what the protagonist goes through due to which she thinks ice-creams are her savior and best friends. So much that she takes help of a psychiatrist to deal with it. But the part, which I found unreal was her final boyfriend who tells her to throw away the weighing scale and he doesn't really care about how she looks. Now, I am still waiting for a guy like that! In all a nice read, I finished it in one day. One thing I share with the character is a yearning for more understanding parents, who don't take you through the guilt trips over and over. Maybe that's where my problems lie.

Keep the Change is an awesome book written by a fellow Tam-bram from her life in SSV and Sons to an MNC in Mumbai, supposedly Citibank. What struck me was the amazing similarities that tam-bram girls deal with, no matter which part of the world they grow up in. I could relate to 32 Amman koil street even though I was raised in Mumbai. The only quality I din't share with her was her talent with number crunching. The narrative was very funny and filled with expressions like jumping into idli batter, termite peeping out of old furniture, and convincing her mom that Goa is as safe as Mount road in a Monday morning :). Definitely a must read!

October Breeze. This was a stupid book I picked because it starts with my favorite month. It was more like a hindi movie, because the protagonist ends up making all the wrong choices which proves that she din't have a brain, and that is the hypothesis Hindi film directors have been trying to prove over the last fifty years. Basically, its about teenage pregnancy. But I suggest to stay away from this book unless you are researching on the social effects of teenage pregnancy.

3 comments:

Shiju Sugunan said...

Did you read "No onions nor garlic" writen by Srividya Natarajan, a tam-bram? I found it pretty scathing and funny.

Rums said...

Hey I did browse through it in Landmark, but somehow din't buy it. I will next time!

Subhodeep Mukhopadhyay said...

" that she din't have a brain, and that is the hypothesis Hindi film directors have been trying to prove over the last fifty years"

lol ! :D